YPT's second Silence Is Violence event was Who's Next?, an artistic exploration of the #BlackLivesMatter movement in 2016. Centering around the work of YPT Young Artist Fellow Dominique Butler, Who's Next? wove together a tapestry of voices and stories grappling with institutional racism and violence against black communities.
Monday, February 29
The event was a smash hit: the audience packed the Playhouse to the brim and cheered, cried and stood strong with young black artists from FRESHH, Inc., The Future Project, Theater Alliance and more. Congratulations to all the powerful young people involved, and thank you for sharing your voices and stories with the world!
Click here for a full album of photos from Who's Next?
Performances and Artwork Included:
- Professional staged reading of Like Father, Like Son, by Dominique Butler
- Professional staged reading (DC premiere!) of Who's Next?, by Dominique Butler
- Poem: "Bang", by Emauni Hill (Roosevelt HS / The Future Project)
- Poem: "Say Her Name", by FRESHH, Inc.'s Griot Girls
- Choreo Poem: "Ode to a Brown Boy" from Word Becomes Flesh, by Theater Alliance
- Visual Art by: Dustin Blottenberger, Semra Ergun, Khurrum, Cynthia Ramirez, Students at Roosevelt HS, Vanessa Strickland, Jess Valoris and Brigitte Winter