Young Playwrights’ Theater seeks a Development Manager to manage the identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, reporting, and documentation of foundation and government agency donors and prospects. A crucial group of YPT stakeholders, foundation and government donors support our students, programs, productions, general operating support and other projects. This position manages a robust grant portfolio of more than $600,000 as part of a growing budget close to $1M. YPT is coming out of a strategic planning process with a focus on maintaining and growing our portfolio of education and arts education funders, while establishing and expanding our relationships with funders in the social justice and professional theater sectors and seeking large government funding opportunities.
The Development Manager reports to the Director of Development and works closely with full YPT staff. Specific responsibilities and functions include:
- Develop and sustain a broad portfolio of foundation and government agency donors
- Manage deadlines for foundation and government grants and solicit grants, producing letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and supporting materials
- Communicate YPT’s activities creatively and persuasively, in writing and orally
- Research and qualify prospective donors
- Create and manage stewardship plans for foundation and government donors
- Write acknowledgement letters, interim and final narrative and financial reports, and other relevant correspondence
- Ensure compliance with grant requirements and meet donor expectations
- Develop close working relationships with YPT leadership and staff to maximize grant opportunities and fulfill donor expectations
We require at least two years of fundraising and grant-writing experience or similar; demonstrated success managing an organizational grant portfolio is preferred. The successful candidate will be a self-starter with a track record in working with foundation and government donors; the ideal candidate understands the landscape of Washington DC region funding and demonstrates success with long-term funder relationships and winning and managing significant government grants. YPT seeks a candidate who writes creatively and speaks persuasively; meets deadlines and income goals and demonstrates attention to detail and emerging leadership skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and fundraising and/or CRM database experience is needed. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
YPT values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We seek a culturally competent co-worker dedicated to affirming the brilliance of our students, the belief that creative expression and theater are valuable tools for education and the commitment to high-quality arts education that centers the experience of all young people, especially those who voices are often minimized. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We are also eager to hire artists and community leaders living and working in communities east of the Anacostia River as we expand our programming in those neighborhoods.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, references and writing sample to email@example.com. Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
Salary and Benefits
This position is full-time and the starting salary range is $45K. Benefits include vacation, holidays, fully covered medical and dental insurance with Flexible Spending Account, 403(b) plan and more.